Parry Sound, the largest natural harbour on Georgian Bay,
was named by "Captain Henry Bayfield" after Sir William Edward Parry, the Arctic explorer.
Bayfield surveyed the 30,000 islands in the early 19th Century.
William Gibson built a sawmill at the mouth of the Seguin River in 1857. He sold the mill in 1865 to "William Beatty", who along with his sons William, Jr. and James, established the Town of Parry Sound.
This photograph features William Beatty Jr.
The Beatty's established a "general store", built the first (Methodist) Church and established a "steamship line" linking Parry Sound to Midland and Collingwood.
The Ottawa, Arnprior and Parry Sound railway arrived in nearby "Depot Harbour" in 1897, and Parry Sound's first rail service, the Canadian Northern, arrived in 1906. In 1907 the "Canadian Pacific Railway trestle" bridging the Seguin River was completed. At 1,950 feet, this is the longest trestle bridge in Ontario.
This photograph, thanks to Canadian Pacific Corporate Archives, was taken in June 1908.
This photograph features Rose Point Summer Resort.
During both World Wars, Parry Sound's population was swelled by workers from the nearby explosives plants at Nobel.
Former Boston Bruin defenceman "Bobby Orr", one of the greatest hockey players in history, is Parry Sound's most famous citizen.
About Parry Sound, Ontario, Canada...
Location: Highway 69/400
(between Toronto and Sudbury)
Population: 6500 people (winter)
35,000 people (summer)
Scenery: Beautiful Georgian Bay...
Part of the Great Lakes System
Latitude: 45 21 00 N
Longitude: 80 02 00 W
Parry Sound Area FM Radio Stations:
WeatheRadio Canada CBPO-FM 88.9 Weather Station
CBC Radio CBCS-FM 89.9 Good ol' Canadiana
The ReZ! CHRZ-FM 91.3 Parry Island Radio
Rock95! CFJB-FM 95.7 Rock'n'Roll!
MOOSE-FM CKLP-FM 103.3 AC/Variety
MORE-FM FM 105.5 More Value - More Service